​Somalia: Puntland government remains silent on Af Urur attack

Puntland

BOSSASO, Puntland - The Government of Somalia's northeastern region of Puntland remains silent on two deadly explosions occurred last Friday, September 1, 2017 in Af Urur, 100km southwest of the port town of Bossaso, Garowe Online reports.

The twin blasts has claimed the lives of at least seven people - four soldiers and three civilians, while more than 43 others were wounded, among them 22 civilians, who were admitted in local hospitals.

Medical officials told GO that 10 of the victims were in critical conditions after they had been critically injured by the explosions resulted from improvised explosives devices (IEDs) at the Khat market.

Sources revealed that the first bomb went off as soldiers gathered at kiosk to buy khat, the stimulant leaves, and within minutes it was followed by a another IED explosion targeted the firs responders.

The Al Qaeda-linked Al shabaab militants claimed responsibility for the blasts caused by two bombs concealed in the Khat market, saying they killed at least six Puntland soldiers, and injured dozens.

Puntland government officials and security agencies did not offer their condolences to the families who lost loved ones in the ruthless bombings in Af Urur, targeting innocent people and the state forces.

Reliable sources, told GO that the newly appointed Puntland Security Minster visited victims of the attack who are currently being treated at a hospital in Armo district, but he did not speak to the Media on the incident.

On the other hand, the Federal Government of Somalia has not commented on the Af Urur attack as its weak security agencies dealing with the rampant terror attacks in the capital Mogadishu.

In June this year, Al-Shabab attacked a Puntland military base in Af-urur village killing more nearly 40 soldiers and civilians, and wounding 100 others. The militants have been active in the area since 2010.

The security of Puntland has been worsening since President Abdiweli Mohamed Ali "Gaas" came to power in 2014 due to lack of government salaries to the security forces which is considered major contributor to the security failure in the region.

GAROWEONLINE