Guterres condemns terrorist attack on UN-affiliated convoy in Somalia

Image
Guterres attends a press conference in german foreign office on Nov 04, 2015 in Berlin (Photo by Getty Images)

NEW YORK - UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Friday strongly condemned Thursday's deadly terrorist attack on an UN-affiliated convoy in front of a school in Mogadishu, Somalia, said his deputy spokesman.

The secretary-general extended his deepest condolences to the families of the victims and wished a swift recovery to those injured. He called on the Somali authorities to bring those responsible to justice, said Farhan Haq, the deputy spokesman, in a statement.

The secretary-general expressed the full solidarity and support of the United Nations with the government and the people of Somalia in their fight against terrorism and violent extremism, said the statement.

At least eight people were confirmed dead and 17 others wounded in the suicide car bombing early Thursday. The police said the target was a convoy belonging to a security firm that guards UN personnel. Al-Shabab militants have claimed responsibility for the attack.

Related Articles

Ethiopian nationals arrested in Somalia

The matter has caused jitters across the world, with the international community calling for tolerance.

  • Somalia

    18-04-2024

  • 01:22PM

Somalia president chairs security meeting in Mogadishu after US terror alert

Last week, the US embassy in Nairobi warned of impending terror attacks within Mogadishu, while issuing security alerts to its citizens.

  • Somalia

    18-04-2024

  • 09:21AM