Somalia: Blast at football pitch in Barawe kills five

Image

BARAWE, Somalia – At least five people were killed and several wounded in a deadly blast at a crowded football stadium in the coastal town of Barawe in southern Somalia on Thursday, Garowe Online reports.

Ahmed Mohamed, a witness told GO that a powerful explosion resulted from an improvised explosives device [IED] took place during a final match between Elman and SYL teams in the afternoon.

Hersi Barre Jeeh, the commissioner of Barawe said the bomb was planted in the VIP seats in the stadium targeting senior regional and district officials watching the game held in the former Al-Shabab bastion.

Jeeh said all players were safe after the IED explosion in Barawe, about 220Km south of Mogadishu, the Somali capital, adding that the aim of the bombing was to cause a maximum number of casualties.

“Five football fans are so far confirmed dead and 8 others injured in the blast. The death toll is likely to rise further as some of the wounded are in critical conditions,” he stated.

No group has yet claimed responsibility for the fatal blast at the arena, but, the local police authorities blamed the Al Qaeda-linked militant group Al-Shabab for being behind the horrific attack.

GAROWE ONLINE

 

Related Articles

Somalia Presidency Plans Parliamentary Session Amid Dispute Over Mandates

At the same time, some aspiring candidates are facing resistance within their own local constituencies following recent political shifts.

  • Somalia

    19-05-2026

  • 05:12AM

Somalia: International partners hold crisis talks with opposition over election deadlock

In recent weeks, the Future Council has engaged in parallel negotiations with federal authorities to defuse the standoff.

  • Somalia

    18-05-2026

  • 02:11PM