Somalia: Car bomb attack kills six at palace checkpoint

Image

MOGADISHU, Somalia, September 21, 2015 (Garowe Online)-At least six people including Turkish national have been killed after a car packed full of explosives ripped through parking lot near entrance to Villa Somalia Presidential compound on Monday evening, Garowe Online reports.

Information Minister Mohamed Abdi Hayir (Mareye) has condemned the attack, calling it ‘barbaric act’ aimed at harming Somali people.

Beleaguered Al Shabaab Group said, militants carried out the car bomb attack to target Somali government officials and international dignitaries.

The car of United Nations envoy to Somalia, Ambassador Nicholas Kay has been reportedly hit by shrapnel, with other sources saying, some of his bodyguards, all Somalis were wounded in the suicide attack.

It is yet unclear whether Ambassador Kay who was attending consultative forum inside the heavily fortified compound, was the target.

Al Shabaab previously launched deadly assault on the presidential palace, and killed high ranking government officials. 

GAROWE ONLINE 

Related Articles

Amid Rising Stakes, Somali Leaders Open a Channel for Dialogue

Just hours earlier, President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud had hosted a high-level luncheon with opposition leaders in the capital.

  • Somalia

    18-02-2026

  • 08:55AM

AU Intensifies Diplomatic Push to End Conflicts in Sudan and Eastern DRC, Says Bankole Adeoye

Throughout his remarks, the Commissioner linked current peace efforts to the African Union’s Agenda 2063 vision.

  • Somalia

    17-02-2026

  • 01:20PM