U.S. military says Somalia airstrike killed two Al Shabaab militants

Image

MOGADISHU, Somalia - Two Al-Shabaab militants were killed on Thursday in the latest US-led airstrikes in Somalia, AFRICOM said, adding that "no civilians were injured".

Somalia National Army (SNA) helped the US military to execute the airstrike near Qunyo Barrow, which specifically targeted the militants, US military added.

For the last two weeks, the US military and SNA have conducted a total of five airstrikes, which are part of revenge for Mogadishu killings, army radio said.

Two killed in the airstrike

A deadly Al-Shabaab terror attack left at least 90 people dead and scored injured on December 28th, 2019, Somalia government confirmed.

Maj. Gen. William Gayler, director of operations, U.S. Africa Command, said: "Al-Shabaab presents a threat to African people, America, and allies".

“They are a known terrorist affiliate of al-Qaeda, who continue to radicalize and actively recruit. Persistent pressure on the network helps prevent its broader spread.”

Somalia and Kenya are the worst affected by frequent Al-Shabaab attacks, which have leftover 4,000 dead in the last decade, a report said.

The attack, he added, left two Al-Shabaab militants dead, adding that "no civilians were injured or killed as a result of this airstrike".

The US to continue helping Somalia

U.S. Africa Command will continue to work with its partners to transfer the responsibility for long-term security in Somalia, AFRICOM said.

In support of the Federal Government of Somalia, he said, U.S. forces will use all effective and appropriate methods to assist in the protection of the Somali people.

Further, he added, the US will continue to partner with Somalia and her military in the counterterrorism mission, which he said is bearing fruits.

Al-Shabaab militants, who swore allegiance to the degraded Al-Qaida, has often carried retaliatory attacks against Somalia and her allies.

Al-Shabaab's attack on US base

A fortnight ago, the group raided a US Naval Base in Kenya, killing three Americans, US Africa Command said.

During the raid, military equipment was destroyed among them six aircraft, Kenya Defense Forces confirmed.

The Al-Shabaab said: "we shall continue attacking Kenya and the US until they withdraw their troops from Somalia and other Muslim lands."

Last year, the militants also raided Ballidogle military base manned by the US in Somalia but the attack was neutralized by Danaab forces.

Al-Shabaab almost degraded

But the US has remained offense in Somalia, minimizing attacks targeting the Federal Government and civilians in the war-torn nation.

However, the group, which resorted to mafia-style taxation, has managed to revenge using IEDs and rarely on battlefields.

Defense Secretary Mark Esper recently said, "We shall pursue the Al-Shabaab militants until we bring those who killed our people to justice."

Around 500 elite troops from the US army are stationed in Somalia according to the State Department. Also, a total of 22,000 UN peacekeeping mission troops are in the country.

GAROWE ONLINE

Related Articles

Al-Shabaab fighters executed by firing squad in Somalia

The government also insists that the group has lost influence since the activation of the second phase of operations against Al-Shabaab.

  • Somalia

    16-07-2024

  • 06:53PM

Somalia: Prison chief suspended after Al-Shabaab inmates jail break attempt

Hassan Hussein Rage was recognized after refusing to hand over the key to the main gate as the suspected militants tried to escape from prison.

  • Somalia

    16-07-2024

  • 06:14PM