At least 12 killed as suicide bomber strikes Afghan funeral
KABUL – At least 12 people were killed and as many others wounded when a suicide attacker blew himself up at a funeral ceremony in eastern Nangarhar province, officials said on Sunday.
The incident took place during the funeral ceremony of Haska Mena’s ex-district governor in Jalalabad city, in which at least 12 people lost their lives and 14 others were injured, the Bakhtar News reported.
“The latest death toll has jumped to 12 and 14 wounded,” Nangarhar governor spokesman Attaullah Khogyani said.
An earlier statement from the governor’s office said six people had been killed and 11 wounded.
The injured in the incident timely shifted to Nangarhar hospital. The toll is likely to increase.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack in Nangarhar where Daesh has a stronghold.
It comes days after Daesh claimed an assault on a Shia cultural center in Kabul that left 41 people dead and more than 80 wounded.