Somalia: Candidates warn against delay in Puntland's general elections
GAROWE, Puntland - Puntland Focus Group has cautioned that any attempt to delay the state's general elections will result in irreparable loss to the democratic system, Garowe Online reports.
In a statement issued on Friday, June 22, the group made up of candidates vying for the presidency have warned the current Puntland government against a term extension or a delay to the scheduled 2019 polls.
The presidential aspirants' warning came amid concerns by local traditional elders who said there is ongoing attempt aimed to put off the planned Parliamentary and Presidential vote in January next year.
Hence, Puntland Focus Group said it has decided to notify Puntland government, the public, the elders and Somalia's international partners in the following:
- Puntland Focus Group calls for timely and credible presidential election on 8th January 2019.
- We warn an illegal term extension for the President and his Government which is contrary to the constitution.
- Puntland lawmakers have to fulfill their responsibility to preserve the constitution and the electoral process. The state parliament is expected to uphold people's aspiration for free and fair elections.
- The attempt for the term extension would undermine the efforts of the entire population of Puntland to liberate Sool region. Therefore, we warn any action that could lead to a political turmoil.
- We remind the president and his government the importance of the protection of Puntland security and its law. "The state is at war will not be an excuse for the constitutional violation and breach of the rules".
- The traditional elders, Intellectuals, and the civil society groups should work together to prevent the government from extending its term that could spark an internal political unrest in Puntland.
- END -
Members of Puntland Focus Group:
Abdi Farah Said [Juha]
Abdirisak Abdullahi Jama [Janagle]
Ali Hajji Warsame
Farah Ali Shire
Jamila Said Muse
Hajji Mohamed Yasin Ismail
Isse Mohamud Farah [Dhollowaa]
Khalif Isse Mudan
Mohamud Ahmed Hassan [Dhagaweyne]
Sa'eed Abdullahi Deni
Dr. Mohamed Salad Qoryoley
For more information
Isse Mohamud Farah [Dhollowaa] – Spokesperson,
Cell phone: (Australia) +61416547736.