Somalia: Puntland condemns 'terrorist attack' in Nairobi
GAROWE, Puntland - Somalia's Puntland state has condemned Tuesday’s terror attack at the dusitD2 Complex along 14 Riverside Drive describing it as ‘an act of heinous and cowardice’ that killed at least 24 people dead, Garowe Online reports.
In a statement, seen by Garowe Online, the newly elected president of Puntland, H.E Said Abdullahi Deni extended his heartfelt condolences to the bereaved and wishes those injured a speedy recovery.
"The Government of Puntland joins the people of Kenyan in their sorrow at this difficult moment and reiterate our sympathy for their loss," said the President in the statement.
On Tuesday afternoon, four al-Shabab fighters struck an upmarket hotel and office complex in Nairobi, killing scored of people, including American and British citizens and injuring many others.
The attackers were armed with rifles and grenades. Huge explosions followed by gunshots rent the air as they stormed the complex, where they holed up for long hours and engaged in a gunfight with Kenyan security forces.
"This terror attack is un-Islamic and inhumane. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the families of those killed and wounded by this tragedy. Puntland and its people stand firmly with the leadership and people of Kenya in defeating Al Shabab menace," Deni said.
During a press conference on Wednesday, Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta said all attackers who stormed the Dusit D2 hotel, had been "eliminated" after an almost 20-hour siege in which more than 700 of civilians were rescued.
The deadly attack comes exactly three years after El-Adde mascara On January 15, 2016, in which Kenya’s military forces suffered their worst attack in Somalia when an ambush on KDF camp left more than 170 soldiers dead.