Somalia: Puntland Forces Step Up Pressure on ISIS as Trapped Militants Face Surrender Deadline

Image

Puntland Forces Step Up Pressure on ISIS as Trapped Militants Face Surrender Deadline
 

GAROWE, Somalia — Puntland’s defense forces have issued an urgent 72-hour ultimatum to Islamic State (ISIS) fighters trapped in the Baallade valley, urging them to surrender peacefully or face full military action.

The militants, currently surrounded in cave hideouts within the valley, have been warned that this is their final chance to avoid bloodshed. The message, issued in multiple languages, called on the fighters to lay down their arms and contact Puntland security forces for safe surrender.

“The Puntland government calls on ISIS fighters and anyone wishing to surrender to contact Puntland security forces within 72 hours. Your life is valuable,” read a statement from Puntland’s military command.

Authorities pledged humane treatment for any fighters who surrender, including safe return to their families and communities. However, officials warned that failure to comply would lead to severe consequences. “There will be no escape. This is the final opportunity,” the statement said.

The standoff comes as the United States Africa Command (AFRICOM), in coordination with the Federal Government of Somalia, concluded a separate two-week counterterrorism operation in the Puntland region targeting ISIS-Somalia.

The joint strikes focused on leadership hideouts in the Golis Mountains, a remote area known to harbor high-ranking militants.

Puntland officials said the current siege in Baallade valley is part of an intensified campaign to dismantle ISIS strongholds across the region, in coordination with broader national and international counterterrorism efforts.

Security forces emphasized that the window for peaceful resolution is closing rapidly, describing the current operation as the last safe exit for the trapped fighters.

GAROWE ONLINE

Related Articles

Court in Somalia’s Galkayo Sentences Woman to Death for Killing of 14-Year-Old Girl

Sabiriin’s body, which had not been buried while the trial was ongoing, is expected to be released to her family on Monday afternoon for burial.

  • Puntland

    24-11-2025

  • 01:35PM

Somalia: Puntland forces seize last ISIS hideout, detain two Somali fighters

The two men were among a small number of Somali fighters who had been sheltering in the Baallade valley.

  • Puntland

    22-11-2025

  • 07:33PM