Somalia: Puntland identified suspect of suicide bombing in Garowe
GAROWE, Somalia, April 21, 2015 (Garowe Online)-Puntland police identified a suspect who carried out a suicide bombing on a UNICEF vehicle.
A senior police official who asked not to be named told Garowe Online dismissed media reports that a 'foreigner' carried out the bombing that killed seven people, including four UNICEF employees.
The official revealed that the bomber was a Somali who arrived in the region a short while ago before he carried out the attack.
Security agencies have'nt so far released more details about the bombing which shattered the decades old stability enjoyed by Puntland residents, including foreigners working in the semiautonomous region.
In the meantime, security forces have carried out a security sweep across Puntland, nabbing suspected militants. Investigations are underway, official said.
In an extraordinary cabinet meeting convened by Puntland leaders, they assured international aid agencies in the region after security concerns that risk a potential pull out by the agencies who lost some of their colleagues in the buss attack.
Puntland security forces have been fighting Al-Shabab militants in remote mountainous villages in the region after the Al-Qaeda linked militant group sent hundreds of fighters to the region.