Al-Shabab operative 'nabbed' while plotting attack in Somalia
MOGADISHU, Somalia - Somali government forces on Wednesday, Jun 5 captured a top Intelligence commander of the Islamist militant group Al-Shabab, the country's military officials said Thursday, Garowe Online reports.
Ibrahim Lugende Mohamed, 23, has been arrested for allegedly plotting terror attack in Sanguni village, some 50 kilometers north of Kismayo port city following a tip-off from residents that led to his successful capture.
Mohamed is said to have involved in the deadliest Al-Shabab attack on Kenyan military base in El-Adde on 15 January 2016 which killed hundreds of soldiers serving under African Union mission in Somalia.
Speaking to Garowe Online, Colonel Mohamed Bedel, a Somali National Army commander in charge of the 43rd Infantry Division said the troops had prior information that the leading militant has sneaked into the area.
Sanguni is an agricultural town that sits on the equator. It has been the scene of several confrontations in the past between Al-Shabab and Somali forces accompanied by US advisors.
In June last year, a US service member has been killed and four others wounded after Somali, American and Kenyan troops’ camp in the area came under mortar and small-arms fire by al-Shabab militants.
Somali forces in collaboration with Africa Union troops [AMISOM] have liberated several areas in Gedo region under Jubbaland state in recent military operations.
Al-Shabab has been driven out of many urban areas, including Mogadishu since 2011, however, it still controls territory and carries out gun attacks and bombings in the government-controlled areas.