Somalia: Jubaland speaks on landmine attack on AMISOM convoy
KISMAYO, Somalia Sept 20, 2014 (Garowe Online)-Jubaland has spoken on landmine attack on a convoy carrying Burundian-AMISOM soldiers in the southern port city of Kismayo on Saturday, Garowe Online reports.
Spokesman for Jubaland administration Abdinasir Seerar Mah told a news conference that eight civilian bystanders sustained injuries in the futile landmine attack by beleaguered Al Shabaab group.
Mah added that the cowardly explosion was apparently coordinated and wished swift recovery to the wounded.
“I call on residents of Kismayo to cooperate with security forces and keep vigil on organized crimes,” stated Jubaland spokesman.
Vice president Gen. Abdullahi Sheikh Ismael Fartaag later today toured Kismayo General Hospital where the victims of the landmine attack are being treated.
Burundian peacekeepers are said to have escaped unharmed.
Delegates representing Gedo, Middle Jubba and Lower Jubba regions have been gathering for Jubaland peace-building conference since last week.