US military says ‘militants’ killed in Somalia airstrike

Image

MOGADISHU, Somalia - The United States military said it has killed two members of the Al-Qaeda-linked Al-Shabab group in an air strike carried out in southern Somalia, Garowe Online reports.

In a statement released on Tuesday, the US Africa Command [AFRICOM] said the strike took place on a camp near Jilib district, the main rebel stronghold in Middle Jubba region on June 16.

According to the press release, "no civilians were injured or killed in this drone airstrike" conducted in coordination with the UN-backed Federal Government of Somalia.

The Al-Shabab group is yet to respond to the claims.

The United States military carries out regular air raids in Somalia to assist Somali troops who have been fighting against an Al-Shabab rebellion for years.

Last year, at least 45 air raids were carried out by US armed forces, up from 35 in 2017.

Despite these raids, Al-Shabab continues to hold parts of the country's south and central regions after being chased out of Mogadishu and and other key areas several years ago.

GAROWE ONLINE

Related Articles

AU Reaffirms Somalia’s Sovereignty, Condemns Israel’s Recognition of Somaliland

The African Union reiterated that preserving Somalia’s territorial integrity remains fundamental to stability in the Horn of Africa.

  • Somalia

    16-02-2026

  • 11:32AM

Türkiye sends drilling vessel to Somalia for historic offshore energy mission

Under the 2024 production-sharing agreement, Türkiye will receive up to 90% of the initial revenue to recover exploration and operational costs.

  • Somalia

    15-02-2026

  • 12:41PM