Ethiopian airstrike on Tigray IDP camp kills dozens - spokesman

Image
Survivors of an airstrike by Ethiopian government forces receive treatment at the Shire Shul General hospital in the town of Dedebit, northern region of Tigray, Ethiopia, Jan. 8, 2022. (Reuters Photo)

MEKELLE, Ethiopia - The Tigray People's Liberation Front (TPLF) denounced Tuesday a new drone attack against internally displaced persons in the Tigray region and stressed that "dozens of children and elderly people" have been killed in the bombing, without Addis Ababa making any statement on the matter.

TPLF spokesman Getachew Reda denounced that "the air forces of (Ethiopian Prime Minister) Abiy Ahmed and Eritrean President) Isaias (Afewerki) today carried out a horrible drone attack in Adi Daero".

He said that "what is particularly outrageous is that the victims had previously been in shelters in Adiyabo" and added that "they were again forced to leave their camps because of the latest round of Afewerki and Abiy's forces' genocidal campaign against the people of Tigray".

"This is happening under the watchful eye of international NGOs, whose activities are being curtailed by the systematic attacks on civilian infrastructure, including trucks carrying humanitarian aid, by the forces of the twin tyrants in the Horn of Africa," he has pointed out.

"We are not sure the international community will mention this tragedy, even as a footnote," he has lamented through a series of messages on his Twitter social network account. "Tragic, but Tigray will prevail," he has remonstrated.

Getachew himself denounced last week an Eritrean bombing of Adi Daero and added that this act of "aerial terrorism" resulted in the death of several civilians, although Ethiopia later claimed that its Air Force had been responsible for the attack.

Addis Ababa did not comment on the possible impact of the attack on civilian areas but noted that the TPLF was using medical facilities, schools, places of worship, and residential areas to hide weapons.

The TPLF claimed on Monday to have withdrawn from the Amhara region (north) after nearly a month of deployment in several areas in the framework of the war in Tigray, as part of "a tactical geographical adjustment" to deal with the "existential danger" posed by the large-scale offensive by the Eritrean army.

The conflict in Ethiopia erupted after a TPLF attack on the main army base in Mekelle, following which Abiy ordered an offensive against the group after months of political and administrative tensions. A "humanitarian truce" is currently in force, although both sides have accused each other of preventing the delivery of aid.

The TPLF accuses Abiy of whipping up tensions since coming to power in April 2018, when he became the first Oromo to take office. Until then, the TPLF had been the dominant force within Ethiopia's ruling coalition since 1991, the ethnically-supported Ethiopian People's Revolutionary Democratic Front (EPRDF). The group opposed Abiy's reforms, which it saw as an attempt to undermine its influence.

Source: MSN

Related Articles

Condition worsens for Somalis in Kenya's Dadaab refugee camp, UN says

It notes only half of an appeal issued in June for $11.1 million has been met, adding that there is an urgent need for long-term solutions.

  • Africa

    07-12-2022

  • 05:44PM

DR Congo Conflict: We are ready to withdraw but a dialogue with regional forces is a must, says M23

Both Kenya, Uganda, Burundi, and South Sudan contributed troops to the region for peacekeeping missions.

  • Africa

    07-12-2022

  • 04:35PM