Dozens drown in shipwrecks off Greece

Image

At least 42 migrants have drowned overnight in two separate shipwrecks in the Aegean Sea, officials say.

One boat went down off the coast of the small Greek islet of Kalolimnos, killing 34 people, including 11 children.

Another eight people died after a boat sank off the island of Farmakonisi.

More than a million migrants arrived in Europe illegally last year. More than 700 died in the Aegean crossing from Turkey to Greece.

At least another 100 have died in the Aegean this year.

German and Turkish leaders reaffirmed their commitment to tackling the migrant crisis at a joint cabinet meeting in Berlin on Friday.

The German Chancellor, Angela Merkel, pledged to ensure Turkey would receive more than €3bn (£2.1bn; $3.3bn) promised by the EU in return for strengthening its border controls.

On Thursday, French Prime Minister Manuel Valls warned that Europe's migration crisis was putting the European Union at grave risk.

Mr Valls told the BBC that Europe could not take all the refugees fleeing wars in Iraq or Syria. If it did, he said, it could "destabilise our societies".

READ FULL REPORT

Related Articles

UAE suspends all trade and financial activity with Iran 

Talks, however, have since broken down amid ongoing disputes over the memorandum’s terms and navigation through the Hormuz Strait.

  • World

    19-08-2026

  • 05:17AM

Outrage and Grief in London as Thousands Vigil for Former Cambridge Scholar Jason Arday

Arday made headlines in 2023 when he became the youngest Black person ever appointed to a professorship at the University of Cambridge.

  • World

    18-08-2026

  • 07:59AM